Subscribe: RSS
  • I purchased a clearer board after being told how wonderful they were. I put it on according to the instructions given when purchasing the item. It began to rain when I was going to look a couple of hours later so I looked today. The super was chuck a block with bees that were very cross and attacked me when I started to manipulate the supers. I quickly removed the clearer board and closed up the hive normally. I then spent the next 10 minutes walking around the field smoking my bee suit to remove the bees.
    I wonder what went wrong. I have used porter escapes sucessfully in the past. My bee suit is in the wash - i was stung many times. Any thoughts and an explaination of how to position the clearer board would be helpful.
    Thanks
    • Quote from: dianearmitage at Sep 10, 2016, 08:32 PM
      I purchased a clearer board after being told how wonderful they were. I put it on according to the instructions given when purchasing the item. It began to rain when I was going to look a couple of hours later so I looked today. The super was chuck a block with bees that were very cross and attacked me when I started to manipulate the supers. I quickly removed the clearer board and closed up the hive normally. I then spent the next 10 minutes walking around the field smoking my bee suit to remove the bees.
      I wonder what went wrong. I have used porter escapes sucessfully in the past. My bee suit is in the wash - i was stung many times. Any thoughts and an explaination of how to position the clearer board would be helpful.
      Thanks
      • Hi Diane

What was the clearer board name ("New Zealand" "Canadian" or ??) These typically have no physical barriers to the bees returning, and if left on for too long (and I am not sure how long that is-probably several days or longer) then the bees can find their way back in. Another problem can arise if the queen is up in the super, or if there is brood up there. In these situations the bees will not clear.
        • The queen was in the super as I saw brood the next time I went in, however this colony had no queena weeek or 2 later so I must have squashed her at some point. I united the colony with another. Thanks for the reply.