Subscribe: RSS
  • I will be selling some national hives and bees at the end of March after I have completed full inspections assuming we have some good weather around that time. I am reducing my apiaries to just one location this year hence the need to sell some colonies.

The hives consist of open floor, entrance block, national brood box, 11 DN1 brood frames, crownboard and shallow roof. They are mostly 2-4 years old from Thornes and Maisemore. I can supply supers as well if needed.

The bees should be on about 5 or 6 frames I expect and will have 2016 marked queens. All of my colonies have been bred from our original bees over the past 5 years and none are from swarms so will be suitable for beginners. All the colonies were inspected early last year by Dhonn Atkinson, our local SBI, and passed as healthy. Since then they have been treated for varroa with apiguard, apivar strips in summer and api bioxal this January. Last year our bees brought in 350lbs of honey so are quite hard workers. The queens are just local Yorkshire mongrels but they have served me well and their workers are well mannered.

I want to do a full inspection before letting any of them go but if you are interested let me know and I will get back in touch later. If you already have your own kit I may be able to supply 6 frames of bees in a used polynuc at a reduced price.

Ray Finlayson

PS I can assist with moving hives if you are local.
    • Hello Ray, I would be interested in bees with a decent Q, but not hives. Please ring, preferably evening. Tel: 01904 633754. Thanks.
      • rayfinlayson Reply #3, 8 months ago
        Hi Jen,

Although not officially sold all 8 colonies are spoken for. I may be able to rustle up an extra nuc but I won't know for a couple of weeks. I'll let you know.
        • Thanks Ray, I would appreciate it if you can. I have some healthy bees with stores but the weedy Q that I kept going through last year hasn't made it. Should have replaced her... But I am still a newby and hoped for the best.

Quote from: rayfinlayson at Mar 14, 2017, 05:50 PM
          Hi Jen,

Although not officially sold all 8 colonies are spoken for. I may be able to rustle up an extra nuc but I won't know for a couple of weeks. I'll let you know.